is a wholly owned subsidiary within the UK Atomic Energy Authority providing nuclear decommissioning, waste management and site environmental remediation services in the UK and overseas. It also manages the pension administration for a number of nuclear industry pension schemes. UKAEA Limited, as part of UK Atomic Energy Authority, has been an established part of the UK nuclear industry over the last fifty years. UKAEA Limited offers site management services at three Nuclear Decommissioning Authority ("NDA") sites and nuclear project management and consultancy services in the UK and international markets.
UKAEA Limited's parent, the UK Atomic Energy Authority, continues to encompass fusion research for the UK, is one of the joint venture partners in the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, provides IT and Telecommunications services to the group and is responsible for corporate governance. It is a Non-Departmental Public Body responsible to the UK Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform.
UKAEA Limited's Performance
The management of UKAEA Limited has created a business that has delivered strong performance based on:
- Participation in the fast growing international nuclear markets (the global civil nuclear market is estimated to be worth £300 billion in the period 2005-2035), offering substantial opportunities for UKAEA Limited to win project management and consultancy contracts
- Respected international brand in the nuclear industry. Pioneering successful track record of decommissioning civil nuclear facilities, UKAEA Limited and its parent having decommissioned and safely dismantled 15 reactors and 40 radioactive facilities, more than any other company in Western Europe
- Delivery of strong operational, financial and safety performance on its NDA sites: Dounreay, Harwell and Winfrith
- Creation of strategic alliance with two major industry participants to address the forthcoming NDA site license competitions
- The development from nothing of a major projects and technical consultancy business with a strong visible pipeline
- The new global emphasis on nuclear new build as an important part of energy policy. With decommissioning advice being a critical component, UKAEA Limited is already bidding on several international new build advisory contracts
Last updated 30/03/09